Reduce the potential for accidental injection of veterinary injectable products
Proper injectable drug use principles beginwith you and your veterinarian
Elanco is highly committed to providing safe handling and use education, training and resources to veterinarians and producers.
- Do not work alone
- Properly restrain all animals
- Handle loaded syringes with care
- Never carry loaded syringes in your coat or pockets
- Keep needles properly covered until use
- Keep children and bystanders out of work area
- Identify an exit route
- Be aware of uneven or changing walking surfaces
- Clearly establish the team leader, team roles and responsibilities
- Evaluate the experience of those around you
- Consult your veterinarian for safe handling and use training prior to administering injectable products
- Use adequate facilities (i.e., squeeze chute, head gate)
- Minimize handling stress in accordance with animal behavior
- Adjust your activity with the temperament of each animal
- Post emergency procedures and contacts
- Remove potential hazards in work area
- Repair or remove broken equipment
- Properly dispose of used needles and bottles
- Recycle all injectable syringes and bottle packaging
Proper Micotil® handling and use procedures
Proper Micotil handling procedures
- Storage of Micotil in a secure location to prevent the risk of misuse is recommended
- Recommended storage includes a lockable cabinet or container or a secure storage room, depending on the amount of product in inventory
- Keep full or empty Micotil bottles, used syringes and needles out of the reach of children and the general public
- Read, understand and follow all label use directions
- For subcutaneous use; do not use in automatically powered syringes
- Use a 1/2" to 5/8" 18- to 16-gauge needle
- Keep a protective cover on needles until ready to use
- Never carry loaded syringes in pocket or clothing
Proper Micotil administration procedures
- Properly restrain animal prior to administering Micotil
- With a single hand on the syringe, insert the needle subcutaneously in the area indicated by the blue triangle in the image to the right, at a top-down angle, while avoiding penetration of underlying muscle
- Administer a single subcutaneous dose of 1.5 mL of Micotil per 100 lbs of body weight
- Ensure proper disposal of needles, syringes and used bottles
- If syringe is broken or damaged in any way, discontinue use immediately
- Exercise caution and care when removing needle from syringe
- Access to Micotil should be limited to personnel trained in safe handling and use procedures
Commitment to Safety
Over the last two decades, Elanco has invested resources to ensure Micotil’s safe usage, including materials and training for distributors, veterinarians and producers. Elanco offers the following safety elements offered at no charge:
- The SimcroTM SekurusTM safety syringe, which has patented technology with self-tenting and needle-guard features. The syringe reduces the chance of accidental self-injection and withstands the most challenging environments.
- Safety training is offered to veterinarians and producers, including how to respond in case of accidental exposure to the product.
- Packaging to further enhance the safety profile, including an outer case that locks the bottle inside.
Supplementary Safety Information
Micotil Safe Handling and Use Presentation
Micotil Dose and Administration Detailer
Micotil, Elanco, and the diagonal bar logo are trademarks owned by or licensed to Eli Lilly and Company, its affiliates or subsidiaries.
© 2017 Eli Lilly and Company or its affiliates.
Simcro and Sekurus are trademarks of their respective owners.